Re: "Deployments" page sends the wrong message

2012/2/9 Karen Sandler <karen gnome org>:
On Thu, February 9, 2012 6:57 am, Allan Day wrote:
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Karen Sandler <karen gnome org> wrote:
On Tue, February 7, 2012 3:30 pm, Christy Eller wrote:
Hi-

I have been gathering some more info about recent deployments. Thanks
Marina, I have added several more current deployments to our
Deployments
wiki page, https://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/GnomeDeployments,
including a one using GNOME 3.0.2.

Thanks for working on this, it's great to have some current information
there

My suggestion is that we split off the older deployments to another
page,
called GNOME Deployments 2000-2008. I would prefer to have that info
available, but I agree with Joanie that seeing a list of really old
deployments could send a negative message. I would rename the current
page
to Current Gnome Deployments, and would refer to the older deployments
page
there. I chose those dates, because I want to make sure that the
current
page has enough data not to look too sparse.

That sound really great to me. I agree with you and Joanie that it
doesn't
look good to have such old information on that main deployments page.

I'm trying to track down info on another couple of deployments I know of
too.

What's this page used for? Is it worth the effort of ongoing maintenance?

In the most general way, I think it's important to have a place where we
show people where GNOME is being used. More specifically, I have wanted to
point potential new partners to this page but have hesitated because it's
so out of date. It's nice to be able to show folks that GNOME is used
successfully in real endeavours. Were the page somewhat current, we could
also use it as a reference for grant applications and the like.

karen

Depending on the efforts that may be put here, I would suggest
performing some 'call for contributors', and to try to engage them as
deployment-study's maintainers. Just as with the software! As a
maintainer, the marketing team would encourage you to keep updated the
deployment-study, with annual revisiones, for example.

I really think it could succeed providing some deployment-study
templates, just for avoiding misleading the newcomer contributors
about what kind of document is desired here.

Because of my job, I'm in contact with the core-team of two big GNOME
deployment on a daily basis:
* Guadalinfo: 754 Telecenter network in Andalusia running GNOME 2.28
* Valencia public education's classrooms: Running GNOME 2 on every
single primary and secondary classroom

If you found this interesting I would offer myself as guinea pig.
Regards!