Re: Ubuntu GNOME Flavor naming

On 20 August 2012 05:14, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:

1. GNOMEbuntu
2. Ubuntu GNOME Edition
3. GNObuntu

Ryan has already registered http://gnomebuntu.org/ so I'm leaning
towards the first name if that's acceptable.

From how I understand our trademark guidelines, you can't use them to
make compounds names or logos. So 1. and 3. would be out.

Well I think #3 may not infringe GNOME's trademark either as it only
shares 3 letters with the GNOME trademark.

https://live.gnome.org/Foundation/LicensingGuidelines

If you were to specifically request for one of 1. or 3. to be approved
as an authorised use, we would probably want to see explanations as to
why other names could not be used.

The difficulty is that we want a name that's simple and clearly
represents that it is Ubuntu with GNOME. I believe that's impossible
to do if we can't use the word "GNOME".