Re: [Fwd: Re: GNOME foundation exposure in BSD Mag?]

----- Mensaje original -----
De: Karen Sandler <karen gnome org>
Para: Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me>
CC: marketing-list gnome org
Enviado: Martes 14 de agosto de 2012 4:09
Asunto: Re: [Fwd: Re: GNOME foundation exposure in BSD Mag?]

On Mon, August 13, 2012 2:00 pm, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
 On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Karen Sandler <karen gnome org>
wrote:

 I think it's a great opportunity! Antoine suggests something very
 simple,
 which makes sense to me. Is there anyone here who has the time and
would
 be able to work on this?

 I haven't seen any follow up responses here.  When is the deadline
again?

Ok, the deadline is August 25th but Antoine says that earlier would be
better.

Do we think we stand a chance at making this deadline? I think simple is
best for this so hopefully it wouldn't take too much time...

Some notes about the status of GNOME 3 in the BSD world:

AFAIK, GNOME 3 is not yet ready in BSD systems. My limited
understanding is that GNOME uses specific Linux technologies, so it
needs some modifications for using native technologies of other systems
(or someone who port those Linux technologies to those systems)

https://live.gnome.org/PortabilityMatrix

The FreeBSD GNOME team is working in a port of GNOME 3.4. it will
be push to merge _after_ FreeBSD 9.1 is released (FreeBSD 9.1
release  annoucement will be on 17th August 2012), though they don't
have a date for the release of the GNOME 3.4 port (that will be more
a beta version than a stable version because they are a small team to
do the testing)

http://www.marcuscom.com:8080/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.1R/schedule.html
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/contact.html

When FreeBSD releases the GNOME 3 port,  it will be added to
PC-BSD.

http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/GNOME3

By now, people who want to run GNOME 3, have to compile themselves.

http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=14811

About OpenBSD, OpenBSD 5.1 was released in May, but it only
supports the GNOME 3 fallback mode.

http://www.openbsd.org/51.html

Cheers,

    -- Juanjo Marin