Re: [Fwd: Question about the trademark policy and usage of the GNOME logo]

On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 18:24 +0100, Juanjo Marín wrote:

----- Mensaje original -----
De: Bryen M Yunashko <a11yrocks bryen com>
Para: marketing-list gnome org
CC:
Enviado: Martes 17 de abril de 2012 18:17
Asunto: Re: [Fwd: Question about the trademark policy and usage of the GNOME logo]

On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 18:12 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
 Hi,

 On 04/17/2012 05:43 AM, Karen Sandler wrote:
 > This says "Powered by GNOME" and I know that some folks
wanted us to shy
 > away from using terms like that or "GNOME Technologies",
though I think
 > it's also necessary to provide ways for folks to say that there
are GNOME
 > components involved in their products to help people understand how
useful
 > GNOME is.

 Personally I have no issues with "Powered by GNOME" - the
stickers are
 destined to be stuck to a laptop after all, not a GNOME derivative.

I think there is some confusion about what GNOME is. GNOME creates
a complete Free Desktop solution. The GNOME Project also creates several
software components in order to get this solution. "Powered by GNOME"
can also be associated to other Desktop solutions that, though they
use GNOME components, are not GNOME ( XFCE and Unity for example).
The fact another projects choose GNOME components for building their
projects is a good thing, even for the GNOME Project, but we want to
communicate the whole GNOME experience to the users.

As Dave Neary smarly points out, there isn't too much problem with a
sticker "Powered by GNOME" because they are supposed to be suck to a
laptop, not a GNOME derivative.

Cheers,

     -- Juanjo Marin

Even if a GNOME derivative wanted to say "powered by GNOME" why would
that be a bad thing?  We get the benefit of increased mindshre where our
GNOME logo appears in more places.  If those derivatives choose to pay
homage to GNOME by using such a phrase, more power to them.  :-)

Bryen