Re: 3.2 Release Notes: Featured Apps

On 07.09.2011 Jason wrote:
On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 11:21, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 21:48 +0100, Allan Day wrote:
On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 14:30, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com>
wrote:
For reference, the existing featured apps can be found on
gnome.org [1]. Asking whether the applications on that page
are the best non-core GNOME applications out there today might
be a good way to proceed. Are there any obvious candidates
that have been missed? Are there any new applications that are
worthy of mention?

Some possible candidates: VLC, Scribus, Transmission. Any other
ideas?

Evolution, Gedit?
And in case they are not suitable [yet], I'd wonder if we have
criteria for Featured Apps, and what they are?

As 'featured' is purely a marketing function, "are they marketable",
is the only criteria. Basically, awesome and appealing to a wide
audience. By that standard, I would exclude Evolution and Gedit;
Evolution for a variety of factors: mainly, its stability and because
it's competing against webmail at a time when the trend is strongly
toward webmail and Gedit because it has a very narrow (though no less
important) audience.

Scribus and VLC (mostly) are Qt-based and so are therefore only
tangentially in our ecosystem.

Scribus does make use of Cairo for it's canvas so it's possible. But
scribus is not THAT popular. VLC is - and as it features a GTK frontend
it might still be worth taking advantage of it's reputation ;-)

Transmission is cross-toolkit though no less a good GNOME citizen.

Frankly, we, like all the DE's, don't have a lot of shining examples
to pick from because of the history of needless desktop
fragmentation.

Maybe that's a reason to look outside of the 'pure GNOME apps' to things
like VLC, Transmission and Scribus. They build upon GNOME technology, or
at least, stuff developed within the GNOME community. By that standard
we could promote any gstreamer based application, any Cairo using apps
(MeeGo?), anything build on Telepathy etcetera.

Not saying we should, just providing food for thought. It might be
valuable to look beyond our borders ;-)

My recommendation would be to slowly mutate this list on an on-going
basis.