Re: tasks for Google's code-in!

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 1:00 AM, Karen Sandler <karen gnome org> wrote:
Hey marketing team,

Hopefully you saw André Klapper's email to desktop-devel about the Google
Code-in:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-October/msg00175.html

We only have a few days to add tasks, and at least 5 of them should be in
the Community Outreach/marketing category.

I think the program is a bit late to ask for help on our annual report,
but I think there are a lot of other things we could use help with. For
example:

* we could ask for nice promotional videos be made about some aspects of
GNOME 3.2 along the lines of Jason Clinton's excellent ones for the GNOME
3 release, or about other GNOME initiatives like a11y.

* we could ask for help with GNOME Journal, including asking for specific
articles to be written.

* we can also ask a student to go through our whole website and identify
out of date sections, broken links and other areas that can be improved or
updated.

We need easy, medium and hard tasks, so there's really a wide opportunity
here. As others have pointed out, we should focus on tasks that will be
cool and interesting to students and that will probably look good on a
college application.

What do you think? What tasks should we add?
karen

A few more ideas:

 * Write a history of the GNOME project

 * Create a presentation to promote GNOME

 * Design a template for one page release notes [1]

Allan

[1] http://mairin.wordpress.com/2009/11/13/fedora-12-one-page-release-notes-pdf/
--
IRC:  aday on irc.gnome.org