Re: ROUGH draft of GNOME 3.0 press release (request for comments)

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 3:19 AM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 08:24:29PM -0400, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
>> Groton, MA, April 6 2011:  Today the GNOME Desktop project releases
>> GNOME 3.0, its first major release in nine years.  A revolutionary
>> new user interface, new features for developers, and a stronger
>> accessibility foundation make this a historic moment for the Linux
>> desktop.
>
> No time to read the entire thing, just one comment:
> A while ago there was some agreement on when to use GNU/Linux and when
> to use Linux. I forgot what the decision was, but suggest to check the
> message is in line.

In general, when talking about distributions or systems, we can avoid
using either "Linux" or "GNU/Linux" altogether. When talking about the
kernel, Linux is best. But in general, GNOME is a free software
graphical user environment - no need to talk about the underlying kernel
at all for the most part.

We can avoid everything by simplifying to Unix-like operating systems.  As Brian pointed out, we support a number of other OSes like HPUX, Solaris, and FreeBSD. I'm not sure about availability of GNOME 3 on those OSes but historically  GNOME ran on them.

I think on one of the revisions in gobby I tried to avoid talking about "Linux" just for that reason..

Great work though, Sumana!  We'll keep wordsmithing and improving it.