Getting GNOME 3

Hi all,

We need to decide on what instructions we want to give users for how to
get this amazing new release of ours. I'd like to put this information
on gnome3.org, but we might want to use it elsewhere, too.

I have a few criteria I'd like to suggest for how we select the
installation and distribution methods that we want to recommend:

 * Full GNOME 3 experience. They should include GNOME Shell, the control
center, default stripes wallpaper and GTK theme (Adwaita).

 * High-quality experience: they should perform well and have no
noticable bugs.

 * Ease of installation: ideally, these options should not require the
use of a command line.

Any other factors we should consider?

I've been chasing down the relevant information for the 'big 3' distros.
This is the picture as it stands:

Fedora
======

 * Full GNOME 3 by default (albeit with added birds).

 * They have been doing lots of GNOME 3 QA.

openSUSE
========

 * 11.4 already has a GNOME 3 repo (based on the existing live image)
which will allow users to install and run a full GNOME 3 experience.

 * No formal QA that I am aware of, but Frederic Crozat assures me that
they are high quality packages.

 * The repo will be installable using a command line tutorial. It might
be available via 1 click install, though.

Ubuntu
======

 * GNOME 3 can be installed on 11.04 using an official GNOME 3 PPA. This
is uptodate and will be ready for the 11.04 release.

 * I've been told that the PPA is being used by the Ubuntu GNOME 3
packaging team.

 * The GNOME 3 PPA can be installed using the Ubuntu Software Center -
no command line required (see [1])

Do these seem like appropriate options for us to be recommending to our
users? Are there any others that we should consider?

Best,

Allan

[1]
http://askubuntu.com/questions/4983/what-are-ppas-and-how-do-i-use-them