Re: How GNOME can help distros for GNOME 3

On Mon, 2011-02-28 at 19:33 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
Hey,

After I got summoned in #marketing, and discussing a bit with Sumana and
Allan, I sent a mail to distributor-list to find out how we can help
distro with the switch to GNOME 3:
 http://mail.gnome.org/archives/distributor-list/2011-February/msg00004.html

Thanks Vincent!

I can think of a few things that distros might be particularly
interested in:

 * Our plans for the 3.x cycle - what will be coming in 3.2, 3.4, etc

 * What we are doing to support users in the transition to 3.0. We're
going to have great documentation for this release, for instance

 * Transition support for developers - we can talk about our migration
documents here

I am a little wary of having an extra set of a tailored marketing on our
to do list, however. We have more than enough to be taking care of
already.

That's an important topic, since if we can make downstream happy, then
downstream will try harder to make their users happy about GNOME 3.
Which is what we want, isn't it? :-)

The way I tend to look at it, distros will want to push GNOME 3 if they
are convinced that it is a good product, particularly in terms of the
user experience that it delivers. Our marketing materials will already
cover that ground. Maybe it would be enough to compile a list of distro
contacts and send them some stock materials, such as PDFs of our release
notes?

Another thing we could do is reach out in order to answer questions and
hear concerns. A friendly chat or email exchange might be beneficial.

Best wishes,

Blog: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/
IRC: aday on irc.gnome.org