Outward facing media [Was: Goodies for GNOME 3.0 launch parties]

Stormy Peters wrote:
        > In fact I am also interested in a more generic question
        which is how do
        > we usually use our channels to announce stuff? I tried to
        motivate
        > people with the T-shirt contest but didn't receive much
        feedback except
        > from the people I contacted personally. How do we actually
        usually
        > promote stuff outside of the GNOME community? (I thought
        GUGs would be a
        > good way, but they seem a little bit sleepy ;) ).

        Good question! I've been thinking for a while that GNOME needs
        an
        outward facing media channel. The Planet and GNOME News are
        primarily
        places where we talk to ourselves. www.gnome.org is outward
        facing and
        has a news section, but it isn't primarily a news site (you
        certainly
        can't subscribe to it)... A blog or news site where we talk to
        our
        partners and to GNOME enthusiasts would be a great way to
        promote GNOME
        and to keep people in tune with where the project is going.
        It'd need
        volunteers if it were to become an enduring reality, of
        course...

There are people that have been helping with Facebook and Twitter.

I think a blog would be hard but perhaps a blog that gives excerpts
and points to other articles. That way someone could follow Planet
GNOME, GNOME News and other channels, make a judgement call on what
would be interesting to our users and add them to the feed.

I fully agree. We don't have the capacity to produce original content.
Linking to existing material is a good way to go for the time being [1].

One way we can do this is through our microblogging channels. I've been
doing a bit of work to develop these in recent times... if we want to
take this further, there are a couple of things we can do:

First, get more people involved. Right now, our bus-factor [2] is
extremely high. If microblogging is going to be a proper part of our
communications strategy, it needs to be stable and reliable. Any
volunteers?!

Second, we could tie our microblogging feeds into other channels, both
as a way to get more people following them and as a means to get that
content to people who don't use a microblogging service. Displaying our
feeds on our web-sites is one obvious possibility here. I'm sure there
are others though.

Best,

Allan

[1] The difficulty with this is that much of the content that we
currently generate is written for people who already know GNOME. The
reason for a channel of the kind that I described in my previous mail is
to explain how GNOME works to external audiences.

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_factor
--
Blog: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/
IRC: aday on irc.gnome.org