Re: Open source bridge talk..

Hi Sri,

A good place to start is with the design overview document William Jon
McCann and Jeremy Perry wrote[1].

Paul

[1] http://www.gnome.org/~mccann/shell/design/GNOME_Shell-20090705.pdf

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
So I'm trying to formulate my talk for Open Source Bridge in Portland in
June (http://opensourcebridge.org/events/2011/proposals) and since ithis is
after the release, I was hoping that I could concentrate on two things:

1) the philsophy behind the design of gnome shell - eg user flow and what
not
2) a talk on extending gnome-shell

I think in the past we've never really clearly defined why we designed our
desktop the way it is and a lot of people never understood it they always
saw it as "taking away features" and I want to talk about why it was
designed the way it is (why no applets etc) and the opportunities in
extending gnome-shell.

This conference has a number of web programmers (look at the proposals) and
of course they all know javascript so it will be a great opportunity to
attract developers from that community to hack on gnome-shell and extend it.

I'd like to partner with someone from gnome-shell team to talk about the
philosophy and work that went into designing gnome-shell.  I think this
would be pretty helpful.  For now I'm going to put in a stub since they are
gathering proposals now and then we can discuss in late April time frame
when gnome shell guys will not be so busy.