Re: getting a domain of srilanaka.gnome.org

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 07:03:47PM +0530, Danishka Navin wrote:
Why we localize?
Why we market the product?
Why do we release parties?

We are talking about different things.

I am not after if you get a subdomain or not. That's totally fine. I
understand for marketing you want something '$NAME.gnome.org'. Again,
totally fine.

What I want to understand is what *functionality* you need.

So say it in yet another way:
  Bad example: I can make a $NAME.gnome.org and if you point your
  browser to it, you get an error message that it cannot find the site.
  This because I don't setup a website. Could be because I assumed you
  only wanted some email aliases.
  Or: I didn't understand your needs for $NAME.gnome.org.

  Now, I understand you want something like a website, but what
  functionality the website should have is totally unclear.

  So what I am requesting is what functionality you're after. This to
  ensure when it is setup, it does what you thought it would do.

Lets develop the product with minimal effort. is it ok?
what the mater of creating the a subdomain and publishing the content?

That is not minimal effort. If I do not get what you want, it'll result
in a lot of work on my side to continuously change as you make the
requirements of the site known.

E.g. maybe I setup the email aliases and you wanted a website. Means a
lot of work for me to remove the email aliases configuration and then
setup a website.

I want to understand *up front* what you're requesting from the sysadmin
team. Subdomain is very vague! Website I understand, functionality: no
idea.

I don't get it. I asked if basic HTML is enough, it was. Then wordpress
is fine too.. now you say blogspot / WP is not good enough?

Maybe explain it in another way:
I can make a search.gnome.org subdomain and point it towards the same
machine as www.google.com. All the technical bits are handled by google.
Only thing GNOME does is the name.

what i try to say is if you really have an issue with supporting us by
creating the subdomain and giving some space
the only solution is to create a basic blog at some where else.

Please re-read my message. Saying subdomain to me is not at all
specific. I do not get at all what you want. It is not about setting
something up.

'some space'.. I don't get it. Please explain the needs more concretely.
--
Regards,
Olav