Re: review request: GNOME marketing flyer for new users in less economically developed countries.

On 11/16/2010 06:15 PM, Ben Konrath wrote:
Hi Andreas,

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 4:44 AM, Andreas Nilsson<nisses mail home se>  wrote:
That looks really great, excellent work!
I would advice to export the icons as bitmaps and then add them to the
document as such, that way you can be sure that they render correctly. Make
sure to embed them rather than link them though. Another way is to try and
use simpler icons.

I found out that the rendering problems come from a bug in evince /
poppler. The files render properly in acroread so I've decided to keep
them as SVG. I would like the highest quality I can get for printing.
The updated files are linked on the gnome marketing wiki but I'll list
them here too.

PDFs:

http://www.bagu.org/gnome/gnome-dev-world-brochure-with-fold-marks-v4.pdf
http://www.bagu.org/gnome/gnome-dev-world-brochure-v4.pdf

Inkscape SVGs:

http://www.bagu.org/gnome/gnome-dev-world-flyer-p1-with-fold-marks.svg
http://www.bagu.org/gnome/gnome-dev-world-flyer-p2-with-fold-marks.svg

The PDF with fold marks should be used if you're folding the brochure
by hand. The PDF without the fold marks should be used if you're using
a printer or folding machine to automatically fold the brochure. The
SVG files have the fold marks included but the marks should be removed
when generating PDFs for use with automatic folding machines.

Cheers, Ben

Hi!

Sorry for the late feedback. I do have a few comments:

1. The green background is quite blurry giving a potential sub-par impression on the display quality of the GNOME desktop. Maybe a plain color or gradient background would fix this.

2. Remaining typo in mobile phones section, 2nd sentence: "you get get the..."

3. Accessibility: I would try to rephrase the paragraph without the word 'disabilities' and emphasizing on 'unconditional access' or 'access for everyone'. I am not a native speaker, but if needed, can give it a try.

4. No Serial Numbers: having lived in the developing world for the past 15 years, serial numbers are never an issue: they actually come on the CD with the pirated copy of whatever proprietary software you decide to use. Maybe replacing that section with all the productivity, graphic/artistic, fun/games, and web applications available for GNOME might make the space usage more compelling. Then again it might depend on the audience but from my experience I've never met any developing world government who was concerned about internal piracy (ymmv).

5. Joining GNOME: I would probably add something more dynamic like mentioning that it's fun, you make lots of friends and you get to learn of a lot of (new) stuff which could get you a job. Again not being a native speaker doesn't make me the ideal candidate to rewrite this section but let me know if you can't find anyone else.

6. joining GNOME user groups: unfortunately there are a lot more LUGs than GNOME user group and only recommending to visit GUG limits the possibilities for our target audience. I'd mention any Free Software group such a *nix UG, Free Software groups and others (including GUGs) as they will encounter the GNOME experience in any of those.

7. You might mention somewhere in the bottom "made with GNOME"?

8. It'd be nice to have a native speaker reduce word repetitions and help produce a better phrased document.

(9.) As a side note I don't think Linux is the best platform for multimedia playback or encoding (not something I'd put forward anyway) but I suppose we can allow ourselves to embellish the reality...

Of course you might not agree with everything I wrote... ;-)

Let me know if I can do anything to help.

Fred