Re: GNOME 3 Marketing - GNOME Shell

El mar, 30-03-2010 a las 11:52 -0400, Owen Taylor escribió:

We can also point to various alternative desktops built on GNOME
technology - whether that's the continuing ability to run the GNOME 2
panel and window manager, or to XFCE and LXDE.

Scratch that, we either point people to GNOME Shell or GNOME Panel +
Metacity. Our message is totally broken if we point people to other
products :-).

Remember http://live.gnome.org/GNOME3Myths , we should keep people using
GNOME and make it clear that we want you to use GNOME Shell but we are
not forcing you if you prefer the old panel, it's there if you need it
and it's not hard to use it.

On this topic, Debian for example is offering a "gnome-3-session" meta
package so it shouldn't be hard for distros to offer alternative
sessions in GDM that use gnome-panel + metacity. We can work with the
major ones to support this fallback for users.