Re: Reboot: Strategic goals for GNOME

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Richard Stallman <rms gnu org> wrote:
   Maemo/Moblin/MeeGo use GNOME and we are proud of that. Of course, we always
   encourage organizations and projects to use more free software but we should
   not ostracise them because they don't use 100% free software.

It is not a matter of ostracizing anyone.  We are glad that they use
GNOME, but we must not say we are entirely happy about them as long as
they contain non-free programs.

But we are closely associated with these organizations. (Your original email said we should make sure we are not closely associated with them.)

There are lots of people and companies that I'm not entirely happy with. Everyone's got their particularities and their bad habits, me included. I can still be proud of them and enjoy working with them. I don't have to avoid associating with everyone who might not 100% agree with me.

The GNOME Foundation is the same way. We partner with companies that have similar goals as us but they may not share all of our goals and we may not share all of their goals. Partnering with them and working closely with them does not mean that we espouse every belief they have.

Stormy