Re: Marketing Materials in git

Hi,

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
I'm not sure i"ll be able to make the meeting Saturday, but I do want
to chime in on this. Having some form of central repository and/or
some kind of revision control is a great idea. But I think git is just
a wee bit too developer focused to be comfortable for a lot of people
we might hope to attract to the marketing team. I'm sure some folks on
this list have strong tech skills and strong marketing skills, but
that's not the norm.

All RCSes are developer focused.

What you need for GIT is the same thing we needed for svn and cvs - a
cheat sheet for people who don't want to do anything other than
centralised version control:

0. To install Git on your system, run: (Ubuntu, Debian, OpenSuse &
Fedora instructions/package names included:

1. To get a copy of GNOME marketing materials in a local directory
called gnome-marketing, run the following command:

2. To update your local copy to see the latest changes, run this command:

3. To commit changes to a file in the directory that you have edited,
run the following command:

4. To add/delete a file from version control, use this command:

5. To see the changes people have made in the past, run:

6. To browse the source code online, go to:

7. For a GUI git client, try:

What can we use that would be better suited for a non-technical
audience that might meet the same goals?

Alfresco/Jahia/Nuxeo/KnowledgeTree, maybe? But adding more
infrastructure seems like a pain. In any case, wiki attachments sucks
for collaboratively working on anything, esp. documents.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary