Re: Marketing Hackfest Kickoff - GNOME 3.0 Website Feedback Requested

On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 20:48 -0500, Paul Cutler wrote:
Hi,

We're just a couple of weeks away from the Marketing Hackfest.  One of
the ideas that's come up is to have a GNOME 3.0 specific website (or
subsite).  I don't know if this means it will use the new Plone CMS
that's currently being set up or something else, but for the moment
that's not important.

I'd like to gather community feedback (that's you!) on what you'd like
to see a GNOME 3.0 website feature.

Please reply to the list - everyone's feedback is welcome!

Thanks.

Best,

Paul

For me, I've seen 3.0 demonstrations a couple of times, including at the
last Marketing hackfest in Chicago.  And honestly, I couldn't quite
grasp what 3.0 is truly about.  A lot of cool exciting words thrown
about, but it looked also like something that requires quite a bit of
learning curve if you're used to the old way and are a creature of habit
(like me!)

Learning is always the single biggest challenge in any adoption.

So I suggest marketing 3.0 by teaching how to use it right off the bat.
Create some simulations on the website where people can abe guided step
by step.  Not a read-through tutorial, but an actual simulation.

"if you do this step, watch what happens.  Bravo.  Now let's try another
trick.... Bravo... Next.. " and so on.

People can get a rudimentary feel for how to use 3.0 and feel less
intimidated than when they try it out of the box.  This would reduce
telling people "RTFM, dude!" (which I hate)  and would help close the
gaps between the knows and dont-knows.

It also can give a user experience to those out there who haven't tried
GNOME/FOSS and can get a little taste of it before actually trying
GNOME/FOSS.

That's my thought right out of the gate here.  How easy it is to
actually create such a simulation?  I wouldn't know.  :-)

Bryen