Re: GNOME 2.28 Press Release

Hi all,

FYI: published at: http://www.gnome.org/press/releases/2009-09-gnome228.html

--lucasr

2009/9/23 Paul Cutler <pcutler gnome org>:
Thanks all for the feedback.  Here is the final draft, Lucas is getting
ready to publish.  I'm not sure who usually forwards this to press contacts.

Made to Share!  GNOME 2.28 Released!

GNOME 2.28 enhances Empathy Instant Messaging, adds official Bluetooth
support, and improves other applications and the GNOME Developer Platform.

September 23rd, 2009

The GNOME Community is excited to announce the immediate availability of
GNOME 2.28. Hundreds of volunteers worldwide have worked over the past six
months to deliver improvements to the GNOME Desktop and GNOME Developer
Platform.

GNOME 2.28 furthers the GNOME mission by making sure people have a free
desktop they can use to communicate with their friends using the latest
technology.

GNOME 2.28 delivers a number of new feature enhancements to improve the user
experience.  GNOME 2.28 adds official support for Bluetooth devices for the
first time, including mice, keyboards, mobile phones and other peripherals.
 Bastien Nocera, one of the leading developers of GNOME's
Bluetooth featureset says: “With the addition of the Bluetooth management
tools and the enhancements to our Volume Control applications, we've given
GNOME users access to more hardware features, whilst keeping our design
principles.”

Empathy, GNOME's instant messenger, built on the Telepathy framework, has
seen numerous improvements, including the ability to add custom themes,
geolocation support for Jabber clients, and the ability for users to share
their desktop with their contacts using the GNOME Remote Desktop server and
viewer, Vino and Vinagre.  "The Telepathy team is proud of the cooperation
between the Empathy, Vino and Vinagre developers. Thanks to their work, our
users will be able to easily share their desktop with their contacts without
having to care about the underlying technical details. This is a great step
for us as it marks the first use in GNOME of the collaborative features
offered by the Telepathy framework. We hope to soon see more and more
applications integrating Telepathy in order to increase the collaborative
user experience in the GNOME desktop," says Guillame Desmottes, one of the
main contributors to Empathy.

Other improvements to the GNOME Desktop include:

Cheese, the GNOME webcam application, features an all new wide mode for
users with netbooks.
GNOME's web browser, Epiphany, fixed a number of long-standing bugs with the
switch to Webkit as its engine.
The Evince document viewer has been ported to Microsoft Windows®.
Gedit has been ported to Mac OS® X.
... and more

For users with accessibility needs, Orca, the GNOME screen reader
application, has seen numerous updates, including  support for mouseovers,
moving the mouse without performing a click, the ability to pronounce
mis-spellled words, and more.

The GNOME Developer Platform has seen significant progress in removing
deprecated modules and functionality.  In GNOME 2.28, there are no longer
any applications that depend on esound, libgnomevfs, libgnomeprint, or
libgnomeprintui.  GTK+, Glib and other GNOME libraries have also seen
improvements.

For the full list of changes, please see the release notes at
http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/2.28/.

About GNOME

The GNOME Project is creating a complete, free and easy-to-use desktop
environment for users, as well as a powerful application development
framework for software developers. The GNOME desktop is used by millions of
people around the world. GNOME is a standard part of all leading GNU/Linux
and Unix distributions as well as many mobile platforms like cellular phones
and tablets.

The GNOME project has three main goals:

Free and open source desktop accessible to all. GNOME is a free desktop
available  to everyone, regardless of language, physical ability, technical
expertise.
Development platform. GNOME is a powerful development platform for
developing free and open source software applications.
GNOME Mobile. GNOME technologies provide a foundation for mobile
applications from tablets to cellular phones.

Media Enquiries

GNOME Foundation Executive Director
Stormy Peters
Email: gnome-press-contact gnome org
Phone: +1-617-206-3947

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com>