Re: GNOME 2.28 Press Release

On Wed, 2009-09-23 at 15:47 -0500, Paul Cutler wrote:
I've never written a press release before, here's a first draft.  The
only thing that I haven't been able to fit in a comment that we
deliver GNOME every 6 months.  I wrote this in Abiword - if anyone
wants the file, let me know.

Paul

GNOME 2.28 enhances Empathy Instant Messaging, adds official Bluetooth
support, and improves other applications and the GNOME Developer
Platform.

Perhaps:
GNOME 2.28 "made for sharing" includes an improved instant messaging
client, integrated Bluetooth headsets and networking support and many
improvements in the GNOME Developer Platform.

September 23rd, 2009

The GNOME Community is excited to announce the immediate availability
of GNOME 2.28. Hundreds of volunteers worldwide have worked over the
past six months to deliver improvements to the GNOME Desktop and GNOME
Developer Platform.  GNOME's mission is to provide a free desktop
accessible to everyone regardless of their physical ability, financial
ability or the language they speak.

GNOME 2.28 delivers a number of new feature enhancements to improve
the user experience.  GNOME 2.28 adds official support for Bluetooth
devices for the first time, including mice, keyboards, mobile phones
and other peripherals.  Bastien Nocera, maintainer of the
gnome-bluetooth module says: “With the addition of the Bluetooth
management tools and the

enhancements to our Volume Control applications, we've given GNOME
users

access to more hardware features, whilst keeping our design
principles.”

Perhaps it would be more relevant to mention Bastien as "hacker of the
GNOME Bluetooth stack|set|pack", maintainer and module might sound a bit
too nerdish.
Maybe "Bastien Nocera, one of the leading developers of GNOME's
Bluetooth capabilities|featureset".

Empathy, GNOME's instant messenger, built on the Telepathy framework,
has seen numerous improvements, including the ability to add custom
themes, geolocation support for Jabber clients, and the ability for
users to share their desktop with their contacts using the GNOME
Remote Desktop server and viewer, Vino and Vinagre.  "The Telepathy
team is proud of the cooperation between the Empathy, Vino and Vinagre
developers. Thanks to their work, our users will be able to easily
share their desktop with their contacts without having to care about
the underlying technical details. This is a great step for us as it
marks the first use in GNOME of the collaborative features offered
by the Telepathy framework. We hope to soon see more and more
applications integrating Telepathy in order to increase the
collaborative user experience in the GNOME desktop," says Guillame
Desmottes.

This <p> feels a bit long, perhaps it's just because of my mail client.
Maybe put a <br> before the quote by Guillame. Also we need to say
'Guillame Desmottes, one of the main contributors of Empathy'.

The GNOME Developer Platform has seen significant progress in removing
deprecated modules and functionality.  In GNOME 2.28, there are no
longer any applications that depend on esound, libgnomevfs,
libgnomeprint, or libgnomeprintui.  GTK+, Glib and other GNOME
libraries have also seen improvements.

I would move this before the reference to the release notes.