Re: What is GNOME?

2009/9/8 Stormy Peters <stormy gnome org>:
I met with Denise last week and she pointed out:

It's very hard to tell what GNOME is from our web pages. If you don't know
when you land on gnome.org, you aren't likely to figure it out. An "easy to
understand desktop" doesn't really mean anything to non desktop/OS
developers. When you go to About GNOME, you get a list of our
values/features but not a definition, screenshot or list of projects.
It's very hard to find a list of projects in GNOME.
No where do we say what GNOME stands for.
No where do we say why we have a foot print as a logo. (There's mention of
how it came about in a history here,
http://primates.ximian.com/~miguel/gnome-history.html, but no mention of why
we/they/he thought the foot was representative.)

Our current web pages are pretty much for people that already know what
GNOME is, but we might want to rethink that as we roll out the new webpage.

I think it's a marketing problem. Thoughts?

I think we should break it down to these:

A project that aims to make computer accessible to everyone (in the
wider possible meaning of accessible, 0 cost, accessible,
localized...), this is the BIG meaning.

Then this big meaning gets broken down to these 3 main approaches to
achieve the goal:
* An opensource desktop environment for open source operating systems.
(This needs a non-geeky wording approach though) (Freedom for users)
*A complete set of tools for developers to create apps for such
environment. (Freedom for developers)
* An online, world-wide community of people joined together for the
pursue of GNOME's goals.

My two cents.

--
Un saludo,