Re: Marketing Hackfest Details

2009/10/28 Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com>

John/Paul:

Is there any possibility of either web-casting or video-conferencing this event?  Or at the very least recording it for later consumption?

I (and I presume others in the world) would love to attend and contribute, but I have no hope of being there physically.
I appreciate that this could be expensive and/or a hassle, so I expect the answer "no".  But perhaps the GNOME powers-that-be could investigate setting up infrastructure for this purpose in future events?

I would think that Google, being the tech-savvy company that they are
probably does have some videoconferencing facilities.  Would be good
to check out what they might be able to offer us.

Though, their videoconferencing services might only work between various
Google offices, so it might depend on whether or not interested people
have a nearby Google office that they could visit.  This might work well
for people in the bay area, for example.
No doubt it might. But what if you don't live there? My understanding is that GNOME is not a Californian, or indeed US, organisation. It is global, so a global solution is needed.

Also the continuing use of physical meetings in a time of recession, peak oil and climate change, seems a bit old-school to me. I have no doubt that physical meetings are far (far!) superior to virtual-only meetings; but having the option of virtual participation would seem to be appropriate for an organisation that sees itself as leading and cutting-edge. Isn't the latest GNOME version "Made for sharing"?

Sorry for the rant. Sometimes us folks who are not in the USA, UK or EU feel a bit left out ... <sniff> :-)

--
John Williams
Professional Idiot