Re: Next milestone - June 15 (Content structure, final design, contenttypes)

Hey Paul,

2009/5/31 Paul Cutler <pcutler foresightlinux org>:
Good morning Marketing team!

I wanted to take a few minutes and follow up on Lucas' email, and talk about
next steps, and what's due for the next milestone on June 15th.

Nice! Some comments/suggestions inline.

From Lucas' email:

<snip>

Milestone goals:

 http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/TwoPointTwentyseven#head-a1b48fa0eb8248143bf402dea04f4a0b72e43050

Suggestions:

- Content team: cleanup your status page to have only 2.28 stuff and
use links to previous discussion/decisions on wgo content. This will
probably make it less confusing for new contributors.
- Content team: maybe you should work on the content in the wiki until
we have the test website in GNOME servers to avoid infrastructure
distractions. For this milestone you probably won't be doing to much
content writing anyway. Just a note for the future.

Per Lucas' suggestion, I've done a first draft of cleaning up the Content
page at: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/TwoPointTwentyseven/Content.  I
removed the old sitemap recommendation, and linked to it instead (see the
"Reference" section at the bottom of the page).

- No need to state that the page is a draft...
- You can probably move links in the paragraph "The wgo structure is
designed considering..." to the reference section as well.

I also added a paragraph on getting involved, and created a table that does
a couple of things:

- Maybe reference the marketing list somewhere in the text for new contributors?

* Lists all pages that we discussed for the last milestone, and if they're
due for 2.28. or 2.30
* Shows pages that needed to be created, and if it maps to a page in the
2007 draft of content. and if so the original page's name and if a first
draft was completed (copy found on the test site)
* Adds an Author column - If you are interested in writing the copy for this
page, please add your name to that row (I'm going to help write copy, but
I'll wait a few days before adding my name and let everyone have a chance to
grab the pages they want to write)

Suggestions:
- Link the 'Yes' on 'First Draft Available' column to the available draft.
- Link each 2.28 row with its respective draft page. Example: Links
the About->Foundation to:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/TwoPointTwentyseven/Content/About#head-46306e916b0ea52b73a80bdc188573eaae64764a

- It would be nice if the table had a 'Status' column with things
like: 'Writer Needed', 'Draft Done', 'Ready for Review', etc.

A couple of things on the table:  I can't decide if it should reflect all
pages, or just what we need for 2.28.  I'm also sure we are missing
sub-pages - see the recent discussion on Developers, and Friends of GNOME is
a good example - the Friends page is called out, but if you look at wgo, we
have sub-pages that exist today wgo that are not reflected on the current
site map.  This needs to be finalized for the June 15th milestone.

You can probably keep the 2.30 related bits. Just put it in a
completely separate section on this same wiki page for now. This is
because we don't have a place to document 2.30 content yet. The
important thing is to not confuse people with content that is not
supposed to be worked on during this cycle.

Lucas also mentioned starting to draft our copy on the wiki.   I've created
pages to do that, and are linked to under "Content Development" towards the
bottom of the Content page on lgo.  If you add your name to the Author
column, feel free to start drafting copy on those pages.

Suggestions:
- blog about the website content tasks
- Copy/paste the available initial drafts to the respective draft wiki
page. Example: copy content from
http://gnome.rehfisch.de/about/foundation to
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/TwoPointTwentyseven/Content/About. This
way you'll have all available content on the expected workspace.

Cheers!

--lucasr