Re: Friend of GNOME Amazon store

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 00:06, Stormy Peters<stormy gnome org> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Jaap A. Haitsma <jaap haitsma org> wrote:

Number 1 we can over come by asking people to install an amazon gnome
search engine and remove the other search engine, but I think that's
cumbersome for most users.

I think we should tell people how though on the extension's web page. Some
people, especially technical GNOME community members, might be more than
willing to do that.

Does anybody know if you can replace search engines from a firefox
extension?

Another idea could be to open Friend of GNOME amazon store. I've made
one as an example on http://gnome.haitsma.org/friends/amazon/
If we motivate people to use that store to buy their books, dvds,
computers etc. the foundation can also raise significant money.

I like it. Is there anyway we could add a "being read by the community"?
Maybe scan for isbn numbers mentioned on Planet and have those products
automatically included?

That I think is not possible I haven't seen any programming interface
for making these stores.
You could of course make a custom page which you make from scraping
planet gnome for books and generating links with the right referrer in
there. With these links you generate a custom page read by the
community

Jaap

Jaap