Re: Different subscription amounts for Friends of GNOME

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Paul Cutler <pcutler gnome org> wrote:
Guy,

I agree with you.  I think providing some transparency on the terms for those who want to cancel is a good idea.

Me too. I've heard it's difficult to cancel. I've even had people email me asking me to cancel their subscription for them and there's no way we can do that - they have to do it through Paypal.

People have also had questions about when will the money first come out? when will it come out every month? etc.

On a different note - if we are providing more monthly options for subscriptions, should we providing more / different gifts for those who subscribe at a higher level?  Stormy has created the Zazzle account, and Andreas and the art team are working on some artwork we can add to the various merchandise.  I don't know how we fulfill orders at the end of the year, but it's just an idea.

I'd say let's keep it simple. While I think some gifts are popular (like stickers) and people pick the minimum amount that enables them to get that gift, I don't think most people donate for the gift.

The idea behind the tshirt was that it was unique to Friends of GNOME, so people can wear it to show their support.

Stormy

Paul

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Guy Lunardi <glunardi novell com> wrote:
Stormy, Jaap,

On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 07:31 -0600, Stormy Peters wrote:
> Thanks, Guy!
>
> If the month can also be variable, we should add an option for
> monthly/annual.
Yes, that's possible, we would just need to expose "t3" (Day, Week,
Month or Year). Only Month and Year make sense.

A question to the group this raised to me. We might want to have some
language here about how people would manage their "Donation
Subscription". Say something has a crunch or something, we might want to
know when they sign up how to deal with resigning or things like that
(would seem like a nice this to make them aware of). Exposing some of
the terms and conditions from Paypal might be a good idea.

What do you think?

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Jaap A. Haitsma <jaap haitsma org>
> wrote:
>         Hi Guy,
>
>         Nice work. If the people like your changes you can sent me the
>         patch and I can commit it for you.
I emailed you already, I will be happy to do that.

>         I'd move the section "Feel like making a difference? Select
>         the amount you wish to donate every month:"
>         to the top of the page.
Sure.

>         I would also add an option to do $100 and a free form option
>         where
>         people can fill in the amount they would like to contribute.
>         We probably should check if the amount is more than 10$ or are
>         we fine if people contribute less or we should only sent a
>         t-shirt whenever a year has passed and 120$ has been
>         contributed.
In order to do this, we will need to introduce some _javascript_
dependency on the page to 'compose the form post based on user input.

If we are ok with that, I am happy to prototype it (should take 1 hour
or so). Right now the form is very clean and HTML only meaning it would
work on virtually ANY browser and be totally accessible though I have
not tried. Adding JS might alter that. Let me know if we want to proceed
with this and I can get it done.

Best,
-Guy