Re: Fwd: Opinion: Stop developing for the desktop?

Thanks, Dave.

I sent requests to Owen, Vincent, Lucas, Ross and Paul. (I think some of them are on this list too but it's in their inbox addressed to them now.)

Stormy

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:47 AM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

Stormy Peters wrote:
> Marketing folks,
>
> Who would you guys recommend we have talk to Martin?

Owen Taylor (Red Hat & GNOME Shell), Vincent (also working on GNOME
Shell), Havoc Pennington or Lucas Rocha (from Litl, innovative mobile
user interfaces, as best as I can tell) and Matthew Allum/Ross
Burton/Paul Cooper (Intel, ex OpenedHand, and our star Mobile people).

On the subject itself, I'm a bit scared about talk of abandoning the
desktop, because it implies to me abandoning the user interface (the
alternative is to adopt a number of form factors & provide user
interfaces for them). The GNOME project has had success because we've
been able to elaborate & explain a very user-oriented vision - free
computing for all - and that has driven our priorities, usability,
localisation, internationalisation, accessibility.

If we move to providing platform components for mobile & embedded
environment, with, say, a reference UI for netbooks, we'll be abandoning
not just desktop-shaped devices, but also our bision of being
user-oriented rather than technology-oriented.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary