Re: free graphic excitement

Hi everyone.  Glad you all had a chance to take a look.  I am moving to Seattle from Chicago tonight, so I will be away for about 4 days.  I will get back and take a long hard look at all this and let you know.

Thanks so much,

James

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com> wrote:

Calum:

(Personal feedback, not speaking on behalf of Marketing team:)
>From a technical point of view I wonder how much slower this will make
login time. "If we still have a splash screen in ten years, we have done
something wrong." (I think I quoted dobey here.)
Also wondering if this would annoy me when I log in for the, say, 30th
time.

Inclined to agree-- might be worth showing once per user, though, like the "Welcome to OSX" sort of thing that Apple do.  After that, probably just leave it somewhere that people can find it again, if they want to.

Could be interesting to use this sort of technology to do a GNOME desktop tour video, though, especially if it was updated to highlight the coolest features in each release :)  (Although one problem that's always existed with that idea is that not all distros ship all GNOME features, and/or add their own...)

I would think that the most important and exciting features would be
common to all or most distros.  Highlighting humanitarian features
such as how it can be used in projects like the "One Laptop Per Child"
program, its accessibility, its translation into 3rd world languages,
its ease of use, etc. are probably all things that most distros wouldn't
mind letting users know about, especially if it makes the desktop
feel more exciting.

Brian