Need GNOME open source success stories

I'd like to have a couple of success stories that helps explain why it's so important that GNOME is free and open source software. I'm not looking for all the reasons it should be open, but rather a few stories that really make a point.

Does anybody have an example of an application that was able to do something really cool on Linux/GNOME that would not have been possible on Windows? Preferably an application that does something most people would recognize, i.e. a music player instead of a task scheduler.

Or any other types of stories?

I'm thinking these would be really useful to get non-developer people understanding the value of GNOME and of free and open source software.

Thanks,

Stormy

P.S. I read this last night which gave me the idea, http://sashadichter.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/manifesto-in-defense-of-raising-money_sasha1.pdf.