Re: www.gnome.org

Murray Cumming schrieb:
I think having 5 pages translated, and kept up to date, would be wonderful.
However, I think the entire site would be translated in many languages if
we made it possible. The GNOME translation team are amazing. They seem to
love translating applications, release notes, documentation, anything that
we even vaguely make available for translation.

Although the quality is not very high - and sometimes I think its better
to have good content in its original language than a bad or outdated
translation. What I try to say is that its not always good to translate.
I was very disappointed of the german translation of the 2.24 release
notes for example.

I think its important to translate some basic pages currently the only
page describing GNOME is http://www.gnome.org/about/ - and there I
rather think more work should go into the original page(s).

One needs to explain what GNOME is - give more screenshots and recorded
sessions - so people can see how GNOME works and looks. And then out of
the GNOME intro there should be links to pages about some projects like
Epiphany, Gnumeric, Abiword - one should also talk about working with
OO.org or Firefox on GNOME.

I think the real task is to develop content that makes sense and is
appealing. Surrounded by a nice design and a good technical platform.

Note that the translation feature is new (and not finished, I believe).
However, this is fairly understandable because no open-source CMS in the
world seems to offer this feature, certainly not via .po files. But
that's not what's causing difficulties now.

Sure, Drupal uses .po files for translations since ages. That was one of
the reasons for selecting Drupal on my own websites. You can import and
export po files - so somebody can work on his own Drupal, translate
stuff and then export. I never understood why people thought Drupal was
bad in i18n stuff. Unless I still do not get the point.

See also http://drupal.org/contribute/translations ,
http://drupal.org/node/275705

Please tell me its not that nobody looked at the actual Drupal core
features before dismissing it for not providing translation possibilities?

Regards,
Thilo