Re: Boosting Friends of GNOME in 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 19:14 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:

Do we have a list of places where money is needed, with an idea of how
much we need?

Not really...  We know for example that our website infrastructure is
lagging, but we are relying on overworked community members to fix it.
If we had the resources for driving the task and raise money for it, we
could pay someone to do it.

All of this may become much more realistic if and when we get that
foundation bizdev.

My main point was that we need to fundraise for stuff, but fundraising
for salary is in general a hard sell. You need to fundraise for the
benefits of what the salary will get you. And the more concrete you
can
make the benefit, the better.

I just thought of a great waty of doing this.

Let's say you want to hire a sysadmin. You want him to Do Stuff.

Say you draw up a rough job description, with a list of 10 things you
want him to do (10% of time: ensure email infrastructure is running
smoothly, 10% of time: maintenance of VCS, 10% of time: processing new
account requests, whatever, I haven't really thought about this).

You then make a dollar value for each one - "we need $8,000 to keep
our
email going this year" - bang! a good package to fundraise against.
"Just $10,000 to handle membership request backlog!" OK - harder to
sell.

But you get the idea. You split the salary of the sysadmin across the
things he'll do, and you can tell straight away what people are
interested in, and what they're not. And if there's no funds coming in
against the "keep DNS running smoothly" package, you can run a
campaign
against that, highlighting the problems we've had with DNS in the
past.

Yep.  Definitely something the bizdev person can work with the community
to drive.  Thanks for the ideas.

OK, it's not sexy, but you can maybe send donors a picture of a bind
process running somewhere? ;)

Cheers,
Dave.

--