Re: Issuing a press release about GNOME 3

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 08:33:08AM -0700, Luis Villa wrote:
Or to put this in a tighter nutshell:

<firefox_developer> we're going to rule (again) on mobile with a firefox product
<firefox_developer> because we're all user-focused
<luis>  that was really my core critique of the GNOME 3.0 proposal
<luis>  it is '3.0 because gtk is 3.0' rather than '3.0 because of
these kick-ass user features'

This was at GUADEC! Of course we focus on gtk+ especially if we are
right after the gtk+ presentation.

<firefox_developer> a 3.0 that no one cares about
<firefox_developer> ff 3 was called ff 3 because people can _tell_
it's a damn upgrade

Firefox was so long to release that I had to resort to using nightlies.
GNOME has a 6 months release cycle. Big difference. We could just as
well not release as well for years, then call it a major change.

So, yeah. When we've figured out how to make people tell it's a damn
upgrade, get back to me, until then, calling it 3.0 is a bad idea.

Sorry again for the stop energy, but when I see things plunging off a
cliff, and a huge opportunity wasted, I think it has to be said...

Yes, the stop energy is working. It is a *proposal* and I feel like
doing something else.