Re: Issuing a press release about GNOME 3

Vincent Untz wrote:
Le samedi 12 juillet 2008, à 22:28 +0200, Dave Neary a écrit :
I've already started to see a lot of bullshit about the GNOME 3.0
announcement and I think it would be useful for a GNOME release team
press release announcing our plans for the 3.0 release [..]

Yeah, we discussed this with Stormy. Definitely something to do.
Also, I think we can start some document for the community, and some
FAQ. Maybe also some slides that people can re-use to explain things.

I would actually advocate taking a more non-document approach to this. So, although I see value in a press release, that's kind of a one-shot thing, and probably what's needed is a resource that people can point to again and again.

Something pretty prominent on gnome.org would be better, like gnome.org/3 or something, almost like a kind of "what's new" but looking forward, with mock-ups where appropriate and that kind of thing.

I think the bullshit is probably a direct result of not much information being out - for those of us not at GUADEC there's very little you can say about gnome 3 other than the date and the Project Ridley stuff. Understandable in a way, really, and promising: people don't speculate about stuff they don't care about.

Cheers,

Alex.