Re: Open Source - Enterprise Consumer Participation -- request for Article

I wrote a draft for them. Let me know if you have any comments, suggestions, critiques, etc. (My feelings will not be hurt as this is not my favorite article that I've ever written.)

Stormy

How do GNOME users play with the GNOME community?
by Stormy Peters

GNOME has 14 million users. These users use GNOME technologies and software in a multitude of ways. Some GNOME users use the full GNOME desktop on their workstation. Others just use GNOME applications like multimedia tools for photo editing or listening to music. Still others run GNOME software on their smart phone. Some users might even be using GNOME in the doctor's office. When their doctor uses an Supersonic Imagine scanner, they are using GNOME technologies to detect breast cancer. What is true in all cases is that the end user probably didn't download GNOME or the GNOME applications directly from GNOME.

The GNOME project produces a lot of very powerful and useful software for millions of users. This software is produced by the GNOME community, a community of developers. With several thousand developers and many fans, it's a community that is long lived, vocal and pretty close knit for such a large group. GNOME users are represented in the community by technical users. And while the GNOME community reaches out regularly to non-technical end users and is extremely welcoming of any that approach the community, the world of the non-technical GNOME user and the GNOME community rarely interact. Why do the users and the community rarely interact? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

The GNOME developer community would like to hear more from end users - they think about them all the time. However, there are several reasons that non-technical GNOME users and the GNOME community do not interact as much as the GNOME community would like.

 So if GNOME users don't participate in the GNOME project through the traditional GNOME community channels, how do they participate? How can users contribute? How can they be part of the community? We often talk about users being the ultimate testers and contributing bug reports, and if they are technical, perhaps a patch, or maybe some documentation. But users contribute in many other ways.
 Users are the audience for GNOME. The GNOME project's goal is universal access. Making sure technology is available to anyone, not just technical people, regardless of culture, financial well-being or physical ability is what GNOME is all about. The fact that people use it makes the project a success, the developers happy and keeps the whole thing going.

The GNOME developer community works really hard to understand its users and to make sure that the default options, the ones that most users will first encounter, make sense. They have also put a lot of thought and effort into making sure that GNOME is accessible to all users regardless of ability. They work hard to communicate their core values to all users: free software, internationalization and localization, usability, and accessibility, and to make sure users are welcome, especially at GUADEC, our annual conference. But whether users show up in the developer community or not, they are definitely contributing members of the GNOME community.