Troubles with the design at 800x600 and 1024x768

Greetings!
Not sure if this should have gone to the web-list instead, hope the right people are subscribed to this one. :) Tried out the beta-site at http://gnome.jardigrec.eu/ and ran into some problems when using smaller resolutions. On the "Take the tour" page it works good on 1680x1050 [1], but run into problems with 1024x768 [2] and 800x600 [3]. This problem is also going to arise when more projects get added to the product page. I've chatted with both Steven Garrity and Máirín Duffy about this, and Steven said they went for a vertical sub menu on mozilla.com [4] when faced with the same issues as we have and Máirín pointed me to a mockup of her [5].

Does this sound like a good idea?
Hope this isn't too late to change, or that we run into other issues by doing this.

1. http://andreasn.se/diverse/temp/new-wgo-1680x1050.png
2. http://andreasn.se/diverse/temp/new-wgo-1024x768.png
3. http://andreasn.se/diverse/temp/new-wgo-800x600.png
4. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/about/
5. http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/mairinduffy/wgo-sidenav.png

btw, as a bonus point, screens are wider than tall.
- Andreas