Re: Requesting Approval of Release notes general structure

Hi!

It might be interesting to know why you want to change the 'old'
structure?

I invented the old one for good reasons. These include

 * usability: People don't read web pages, they scan them. Our main
"talking points" -- that is: every GNOME release improves features,
usability, performance, internationalization and accessibility --
should be mentioned in the visible parts, ie. the headers. The 'old'
structure takes care of that. It is also easy to navigate: If you're
interested in internationalization, this is easy to find and read.

 * psychology: people are more likely to remember what they see often.
If we keep the GNOME release notes structure stable for a few years,
people will learn the talking points: "every GNOME release improves
features, usability, performance, internationalization and
accessibility" -- the magic of repetition. Additionally, repeating the
"feature improvements" page works against myths spread about GNOME such
as: "Due to the usability stuff, GNOME has no features!"

 * journalism: The structure uses the inverted pyramid format well
known to professionals; by using it, the 'old' release notes mentions
the important news first and less important news later. This is
good for getting as much information across as possible. Most people are
curious about the new features, and not about our improvements in
accessibility.

These reason make sense to me. What are the reasons to change it?

Also, the question detracts from the really important question -- this
is: Do we cover all the important and exiting facts and information
in the current draft? This is what we should think about.

Regards,
Claus

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:41:25 -0500