Re: Fwd: .org Pavilion Call for Papers Now Open

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 12:59 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
Hi,

Glynn Foster wrote:
Thanks for the update - the current 'Events' contacts for the board are Behdad
or Dave. Guys, want to take this on? Even if it's just a case of making sure
they ping with board-list gnome or marketing-list gnome

While I'm happy to do this (but Behdad is probably the better choice, if
he can take this on),

I'll contact them.  My first reaction was that we should have an alias
for it, that automatically goes to board-list and marketing-list, but I
can imagine marketing-list not being open to nonsubscribers.  Still,
having an alias that goes to me currently would be better than
hardcoding my address.  I can ask on #sysadmin to get something like
events gnome org or something.  Thoughts?

this reveals a deeper problem that I've mentioned
before, and which we need to address. We have no US organisation
co-ordinating our presence in conferences.

This is something of a gap which was previously filled somewhat by Tim
in the most important cases, but what we actually need is a US GNOME
user group. And given how many people are working on GNOME in the
greater Boston area, it seems reasonable that that group take over as
the main contacts for LWE, in the same way that gnome-fr are the main
contacts for Solutions Linux or FOSDEM, gnome-de are the main contacts
for LinuxTag, etc.

It's not a good idea for the board to take on this role long-term, and
it will be much higher value to encourage the creation of a US user
group (or even user groups by region).

Lets bootstrap this then.  How about pushing it on Máirín Duffy and Ray
Strode?

Any volunteers on marketing-list?

Cheers,
Dave.