Re: wgo/get_started/on_ms_windows

On Sun, 2007-04-08 at 18:52 +0100, Joachim wrote:

On 3/12/07, Joachim <joachim gnome googlemail com> wrote:

        So the questions are:

        What do you want to be said about Gnome?

dunno about this one.
But i'm guessing that perhaps some information about how most gnome
applications can be run on windows without trouble.
Perhaps even naming a few of the big ones, although i read on the
mailing list that it shouldn't be a list of applications so only some
generic examples then, like gimp or gnome office.

since this page has a high potential of being viewed by possible
switchers, also put a blurb in about the fact you can use the gnome
applications on windows, but that to get the real gnome experience you
could also try a live-cd.
But that's me.

See also
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/marketing-list/2007-March/thread.html#00046

But i'm going to guess you knew that since you talked in that
discussion.

        Is it GNOME or Gnome?

You got a answer on this a while back.
By Quim Gill and a added note by Dave Neary.

personally i will often write GNOME as gnome, but only on IRC or on
mailing lists. I view it a bit like how most people will write april
instead of April.
When official it should be the official notation.

        What is Gnome anyway?

source: www.gnome.org main page

What is GNOME?
GNOME offers an easy to understand desktop for your Linux or UNIX
computer.

source: http://www.gnome.org/about/

The GNOME project provides two things: The GNOME desktop environment, an
intuitive and attractive desktop for users, and the GNOME development
platform, an extensive framework for building applications that
integrate into the rest of the desktop. You can learn more about how
GNOME can work for you in our Why Choose GNOME? page.

I figure from this that GNOME is first and foremost a desktop
environment with a bunch of applications.
However to create this desktop and these applications GNOME is also a
development platform in which it is made.

Although when i explain to people what GNOME is, i will actually tell
them GNOME is three things.
It's a desktop, it's a development platform and it's a standard.

Mainly because not all applications that are made with the GNOME
development platform, confirm to the GNOME standard, and are thus not
part of the GNOME desktop.
To explain what the standard is i mostly just point at the HIG, and
general acceptance.

        If I don't get answers to these soon, I will make it up. Gnome
        is a delicious cream cheese sandwich filling....

I'm sitting in #gnome-hackers asking people questions about this sort
of thing, and the cream cheese option is looking decidedly tasty....
If everi

But perhaps i'm misinterpreting your questions and you are looking for
far more specific answers. In that case i suggest you ask more specific
questions.

--
Erik Snoeijs <stratos stratos-online nl>