[Fwd: XHTML 1.1 or 1.0?]

I sent this initially to gnome.web-list since the topic is quite
technical. However, since most of the GnomeWeb newcomers are here
perhaps someone has got a good an opinion/answer...
--- Begin Message ---
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/WebPolicies sets XHTML 1.1 as a wgo policy. In the comments there is a
recommendation to use 1.0 instead. Any ideas?

The comment:

 It is stated in that document that all pages should conform to XHTML 1.1. I think this is a bad idea unless
you want to keep out Internet Explorer users since XHTML 1.1 requires the web server to send the MIME type
application/xhtml+xml instead of the usual text/html. Internet Explorer only offers its user to download the
file in that case. Also there are some usability problems with XHTML 1.1 like the lang attribute being
removed in favor of xml:lang though right now this attribute seems only to be supported by Firefox. XHTML 1.0
Strict matches XHTML 1.1 pretty closely and does not face these problems - it does allow the document to be
sent as text/html. -- ?ChristianJuner