Re: CMS selected: Plone

On 10/30/06, Quim Gil <qgil desdeamericaconamor org> wrote:
Ok, let's go for Plone. I think we could reach our wgo goals with
Midgard as well but there are some reasons that probably make Plone a
better choice here and now.

Of course I'm a bit disappointed with the decision, but in any case it
is most important to have a decision and not just delay the
implementation indefinitely...

Let me however comment on some of your points:

One aspect that has pushed the Midgard option since the very beginning
is their use of GNOME libraries

It is not really relevant regarding wgo as you pointed out. However,
it also means that the Midgard community is more likely to listen to
wishes of the GNOME community as there is also some technology-level
symbiosis between the projects.

We could probably fulfill the whole i18n requirements with both tools
and some hacking.

I think only i18n req we don't support is PO import/export of content.
And to be frank, I'm sceptical that content translators would like to
work using that anyway.

Editing of complex and long HTML is quite different from translating
short UI strings. The WYSIWYG editing tools Midgard (or some other
CMS) offers are much better suited for translating full website
contents.

Of course, if I've missed some PO translation editor that supports
WYSIWYG XHTML editing, of course :-)

However, this humble wgo revamp coordinator
needs to think in worst case scenarios: the Midgard developers busy in
other projects, Henrius lost in the Antarctica with a moped... and our
PHP guys around saying it is complex to get into the Midgard thing and
"we told you Quim it was better to go for [your favorite PHP CMS here]".
As a result, the i18n team, upset, decides it's not worth to waste the
time with us.

I'd like to note that I offered the services of Nemein on pro bono
basis for the website migration. This means that the project and its
maintenance would not be dependent on my personal motorcycle adventure
habits.

Why this answer with Plone and not with Midgard? Well, Danilo knows
Python
<snip>
A perfect integration
can be achieved if someone within the GNOME community is willing to code
it.

Again, there is at least Tigert in GNOME community with existing
Midgard skills, and I'm sure PHP is known by many. And besides, aren't
the people in your community busy hacking GNOME instead of wgo?

Web admins would have probably a similar learning curve
with both tools, that allow the administration of most tasks via web
interface (although it might be possible that Midgard relies more on the
command line).

Midgard supports both web-based administration and command line. There
is also a specialized GNOME-based clients under the work:
http://magni.tigris.org/

About documentation, both tools have the basic that is needed, but the
Plone environment has a lot more, including a whole free book and
screencasts for several levels. People like these things when they have
to learn something.

True, this is probably where Plone has some lead on us.

And now, let's build a great www.gnome.org

Hey, hopefully things work out for you guys! In any case it was fun
going over the requirements...

/Henri

--
Henri Bergius
Motorcycle adventures and Open Source Software

Skype: henribergius
Jabber: henri bergius gmail com