Re: [Fwd: GnomeWeb 2.18 goals]

--- Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:

<quote who="Quim Gil">

      * projects.gnome.org -
GnomeWeb/ProjectsPages . I want to update
        this page and see if we find a 2.18
solution that satisfies
        Jeff.
      * support.gnome.org . Hopefully Luke will
want to take on this.
      * community.gnome.org . Hopefully a "GNOME
is people" fan will
        want to take on this.

I have to send the "fighting subdomain disease"
email in response to this.
What is all this stuff? Why does it need a
subdomain?

How is projects.gnome.org back on the agenda at all?

Well, we could just delete all the current projects
pages ;) Some of them are unmaintained and some
duplicate things we want to say elsewhere. But the
various app teams might object.

Is support.g.o meant to be the subdomain 'version'
of gnomesupport.org? Why
make it a subdomain at all?

Because, speaking as an average surfer, when I see
gnomesupport.org, with its different url and its sort
of the same navbar but not quite, I don't know whether
it's offically a gnome site or not. Not that it should
matter -- support is support -- but I then wonder 'If
this isn't part of GNOME, is there another, REAL
support site?'
The general idea is, I believe, that if it's something
we run at gnome, then it's a part of gnome.org.

What on earth is community.gnome.org? Why wouldn't
wgo be representative of
the community in some way? Why does it need Yet
Another Subdomain?

Community is a gateway to Foundation, Planet, Guadec,
and others. See
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/Navigation

If it seems like we're shoehorning stuff into
categories, yes, perhaps we are. But we have a lot of
sites and bits spread all over and linked up like
spaghetti. (See monster list here:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/GnomeSubsites and even
compiling that and figuring out what exists took us a
while)
wgo itself is already quite full of stuff we want:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/NewWgoStructure

The general idea is that navigation items in the
general bar common to all gnome sites go to
subdomains,  leaving wgo's own primary bar.