Re: GNOME : Get involved

Original email, it was sent privatly by mistake before response. I'm not
sure why evolution stripped away the ml address when replying.

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 11:44 +0000, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
I still wonder why
we need an external site to promote GNOME. To me it is
a symptom of a
GNOME and gnome.org failure. The wgo revamp tries to
solve failures like
this, and I don't see what GNOME marketing
spreadgnome.org could do that
gnome.org can't do.

I think it's basically the name + the content + fans. The name gives a
strong indication about what the site does. Fans, especially those who
are not involved in the day to day development of gnome will be more
drawn into a site where they feel it's actually about what they do:
promote what they love, but not what they don't understand: development
etc. Not sure if what I wanted to say got through :)

keep in mind that "fan sites" are nothing new in the business world nor
in the OSS world. eg http://www.walmartfoundation.org and
the success of spreadfirefox, which should give us some lessons.

Djihed