said "for which no legal plugins are available." which seemed to be
the most neutral way of putting it.\
  I could go on very long about the quality/benifits of licensed and
unlicensed codecs, but I think the strong point here is that it
*allows* both for everybody's benefits (nothing *forces* you to
download/use them AFAIK).

  Edward

On 3/7/06, Tommi Vainikainen <tvainika niksula cs hut fi> wrote:
On 2006-03-07T11:34:25+0200, bilboed gmail com wrote:
GStreamer 0.10 will also allow users to take advantage of multimedia
plugins distributed by 3rd party vendors to offer support for licensed
codecs for which no legal plugins are available. These may include
support for AC3, WMA, MP3 and more. A licensed, yet freely available,
MP3 plugin for GStreamer 0.10 has already been made available by
Fluendo, a long-time supporter of GStreamer.

For me this seems bit U.S. centric. In many countries (even Western
countries) reverse engineering is allowed. In many more countries
there are no patents restricting those file formats. Therefore
codes/plugins are most likely "illegal" only in U.S. and some other
countries, but not all over the world.

--
Tommi Vainikainen

--