Re: *.gnome.org partitioning draft

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:34:53 +1000
Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:

Before making this decision, please figure out what we want 'project
pages' to achieve, and make the decision based on that. Death by
subdomain is not something I want to see happen with the GNOME web
effort (I've been staving it off for a while now).

Theoretically, every project needs a space to point its potential
audience to. Think Evolution, Dia, etc. Each one needs a homepage, and
they probably want different designs.

The space is provided by project.gnome.org/* .

It makes sense from an organizational point of view: It's nearly
impossible fro somebody outside of, say, Evolution to check all their
communication channels to be able to keep their homepage up-to-date. On
the other hand, why should the maintainer of
projects.gnome.org/evolution/ care about the wgo stuff ?

It also makes sense from a technical point of view: Whatever platform
we choose for wgo, it won't affect the project homepages unless we
decide so later. The project homepages probably have a different set of
requirements, too, when compared to wgo. For example, their maintainers
may not be happy to be required to deal with a certain CMS, etc.
Likewise, the web team doesn't need to care about them when
reorganizing wgo: just think of re-modeling all the URLs.

Cheers,
Claus