Re: The relation with gnomefiles.org

We have this potential goal for the GNOME 2.18 release: Setting an
official relation with gnomefiles.org -
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/Goals

Eugenia Loli, gnomefiles.org maintainer, found it herself and he
contacted me. She is happy to help.

Can you please provide thoughts for an optimal collaboration with a
gnomefiles.org?

As I think is mentioned one one of the wiki pages, we need to reuse
information somehow, maybe with DOAP. Many people don't use gnomefiles.org
because we don't want to enter information in multiple places. I've mostly
stopped using freshmeat for the same reasons.

An official GNOME software map must also clearly identify any software in
the map that is not free(dom) or open source, which gnomefiles.org doesn't
currently do. For instance, "VM Player" is listed, confusingly as
"freeware", and "VMware" is listed as "commercial".

I love our proprietary developers too, but as a free software project we
do have our priorities.

In the past we have not been able to persuade Eugenia to make this more
clear, but I am optimistic.

We could start the approach in the current release, adding them to the
"Single gateway to all the news sources provided by GNOME subsites",
making clear they are not a GNOME subsite, picking their feed as well.

Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com
www.openismus.com