Re: How are we compelling?

[snip]
How do we get people to value our fundamental strengths, and not
superficial advantages, like a powerful feature that may show up in the
next version of Windows or OS X (or some app)? If our users value what
we truly value, then they won't disappear when someone provides them a
shinier version of feature X.

Our computing platform is in many ways better. It's already providing a
better alternative for many people. Just make sure to explain to people
that free software ideals and/or open source methods are the cause of that
quality. There's not much need to ask people to choose between free
software or feature, and we don't need to expect people to adopt us as a
religion in order to use our great software.

We aren't perfect and we don't have every single thing covered (yet). It's
OK to be honest about that, and let them decide what's important to them,
while of course pointing out the plans we have.

Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com
www.openismus.com