Re: gnome app pages (was confusingly Gnome Software Map)

I've drawn a diagram:
http://live.gnome.org/data/GnomeWeb(2f)NewWgoStructure/attachments/gnomeproductpages.pdf

As I see it:

www.gnome.org/evolution or www.gnome.org/inkscape are product
information pages. One illustrated page with links, if possible without
scrolling. They don't aim to be product/project homepages, but producte
featured pages, like reviews.

projects.gnome.org/evolution or inkscape.org are product/project
websites, with the whole thing as they wish to have it. We can come up
with recommendations in the future, but this is out of scope in the
current release.

Claus, I think we need to have a GNOME software page listing which is
the software we care of and we put in our quality assurance. I agree
user Joey don't care, but he is not our only user profile. We have at
least ISDs and public sector wanting to know at least exactly what is
GNOME and why it's worth choosing us instead of whoever else.

We can have other partial listings much more visible in i.e. the
homepage such as "GNOME Software to pimp Joe's computer" or the examples
provided by Jeff (embedded, etc). Product featured pages are useful for
all these cases.

More about the product featured pages:

El ds 05 de 08 del 2006 a les 20:34 -0600, en/na Gezim Hoxha va
escriure:

OK. With this, I disagree. We're basically wanting developers and/or
volunteers to duplicate the information they have about the project.

No. We are featuring products and linking to their product websites. A
product featured page will follow a common structure, tone of voice,
marketing goals, etc. A product featured page won't aim to substitute or
shadow the product website: it will introduce the product in a brief and
tasty way like the trailer of a film or the review of a book.

Then, when time comes, to delicately update the information (in their
"official" site and in their wgo/apps site).

The product featured pages won't get into many temporary details. Since
the pages are translated we have another reason to build cool texts able
to last. You can explain Inkscape, Evolution or gnome-applets with a
text that lasts a some years, maybe with only small little changes every
6-12 months.

We can work on some RSS to provide the news about the product,
syndicated from the product website (and therefore not translated, but
well).

 I'm all about making developers lives easier and duplicating
information will not help them out, unfortunately.

It's not duplicating information. It's packaging a source to serve
better different purposes and audiences. Distros help developers
packaging their software, and so we do with their product/project
information.

why don't we ask developers as to what they want for their project home
page.

Interesting, but currently almost an utopia. You have product websites
on CVS, several CMSs, in the GNOME servers, out there, under
wgo/projects, with own domain, some developers won't have strong
opinions about their website, other will have, some will be happy
following a common rule, some will want to be differentiated from the
rest...

I don't think we are going to get ever an harmonic strategy from those
website (nor I think we should). But at wgo we need a to build a
consistent strategy to introduce these products, and this is the reason
to have product featured pages.

I see "translated" in the future, I'll probably be sceptical.

wgo will be translated in supported languages. "Supported language"
means that the content of wgo is translated, and this includes the
featured product pages. If a language can't reach all the pages then
it's not a supported language (it's another thing we need to define).

I'm using Epiphany in Catalan, this means that there is a Catalan
translation team caring about Epiphany and means also that there is a
possibility that the Catalan translators would like to translate a page
about Epiphany. It is up to them to decide if they can and want to have
Catalan as wgo supported language or not. Same thing for the rest of
languages.

This is another very important reason to have a small wgo with amazing
content, apart of the big volumes of information product websites and
other GNOME subsites can generate.

PS: Feel free to play with the diagram:
http://live.gnome.org/data/GnomeWeb(2f)NewWgoStructure/attachments/gnomeproductpages.odg