multilanguage support (of GNOME.org)

Creating and maintaining multiple languages would need a massive amount of man power. It has taken ages just to get one page up and running.

The Idea is brilliant, I was trying to write a sort of 'pick-a-language' welcome page that would remember your language once you had selected it but since I can only speak English (and a tiny bit of German), I decided to focus my efforts on the English homepage.

Writing one page is hard work and then when you see the mass of GNOME.org's pages you understand that even just doing the whole site in one language is a massive effort.

If we can amount the man-power and skills it would be brilliant (though finding enough people to translate GNOME.org into 43 languages would be difficult to say the least). But until then I think we should build the site first then start translating.

Please send me any comments, suggestions that you have about the mock-up.

Thanks,

Hugh Buzacott.

PS. On a sort-of unrelated note. Maybe we should have a competition on the design of a new GNOME.org (sort of like the GNOME 2.12 splash image one just for web design) and then then a judge or the community could judge them. Just an idea that I just had then as I was type this up because I know that my suggested site isn’t perfect.

> I am still pushing for a new GNOME.org so I created a mock-up.

> The mock-up is at http://www.geocities.com/bzctt/ and is only a front

> page but has links to the rest of normal GNOME.org through the header.

> It is just a suggestion so if you have any ideas and so forth just

> send them.

>What I think is very important for GNOME is the internationalisation. I

>think one could use the Apache multilanguage feature but also should let

>choose a user what language he likes to see. I think to have a page in

>as much languages as possible should be more important in GNOME than in

>Windows (as we do support more languages. I really hate that gnome.org

>only welcomes English speakers. I would like to see a drop down language

>menu - maybe also for countries. Many companies do have such things.

>Some solutions:

> * http://www.ibm.com/

> * http://www.dell.com/

> * http://www.kde.org/

> * http://www.volvo.com/

>I think we should also support different languages, although there are

>local web pages form local GNOME representations. I look at GNOME.org as

>a central starting point. On the examples above you sometimes see a link

>to a local web site. I also would welcome such a solution.

>Thilo

marketing-list mailing list

marketing-list gnome org