Re: Revamped of GNOME.org

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 13:38 +1000, Hugh Buzacott wrote:
To the Marketing-List,

One of these is whether we should use the term ‘Free Software’ of the
more common ‘Open Source’.

‘Free software’ is the correct term (with the term ‘Free Software’
predating the term ‘Open-Source’) for the GNOME project according to
the current site and the licence that GNOME uses.

I am for Free software.

A note for those of you that want the wording of ‘Linux’ changed to
‘GNU/Linux’ on the Mock-up homepage, I am considering changing this,
but since the distributions of GNOME are things like: ‘Red Hat Linux’,
‘Ubuntu Linux’, ‘Tao Linux’ and ‘beatrIX Linux’ I think we should use
the term ‘Linux’ as it more common. Btw. There are exceptions like
‘Debian GNU/Linux’ and ‘BLAG GNU and Linux’ but if I referred to these
as ‘Linux’ you would still know what I mean rather than me referring
to — say — ‘Ubuntu Linux’ as ‘Ubuntu GNU/Linux’.

I would just go with Linux instead of GNU/Linux.

Rajiv