Re: "Start here" document for the live CDs

On 5/22/05, Luis Villa <luis villa gmail com> wrote:
On 5/22/05, Marcus Bauer <mbauer tiscali fr> wrote:

We should have kind of a "start here" document for the desktop which we
can push over to the translation teams.

My suggestions (to be discussed/extended)

format: html

I would guess (and we really need to ask the i18n people about this)
that the right format is docbook, because:

 * it can be translated with existing tools (xml2po)
 * we can automatically generate nice pdfs for printing/distribution
at conferences
 * we can automatically generate HTML for the web if we need it
 * in yelp, we have a more appropriate viewer than we do for HTML (or
at least shaun told me that could be done :)

content:

  * short marketing text: about gnome
    - free, easy, powerful, efficent etc. etc.

  * where to get further info / online help, whom to contact

  * success stories (100.000 desktops by spanish administration,
    500.000 by brasilian administration)

  * some words about the shiniest apps (gimp, inkscape, abiword,
    gnumeric come to my mind)

Please have a look what is already available on the english live CD
(Luis: could you give a pointer for an online source outside the CD?)

There are two key ones on the liveCD:
A general gnome project overview, which touches on a lot of the things
you've discussed:
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/livecd-project/root-dir/etc/skel/Desktop/GNOME%20Project%20overview.abw

a liveCD overview, to explain to people what to do with the liveCD,
what to play with, etc.:

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/livecd-project/root-dir/etc/skel/Desktop/LiveCD%20Overview%20%28start%20here%21%29.abw

This isn't quite as critical but it is still important.

These are currently in abiword format, but I'm totally flexible about
dumping that if someone wants to use abi's docbook export and clean it
up so that we have a starting point. I wrote them in abi originally
because I was under time pressure and wanted decent formatting, and
didn't think I could do that quickly in docbook given how rusty my
docbook is.

FWIW, i've commited a docbook version of the important one tonight:

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/livecd-project/root-dir/etc/skel/Desktop/GNOME%20Project%20overview.dbk?view=markup

Lord knows the generated output is terrible, though, so we have to
figure out how to fix that, and I want to review/tighten the contents
before siccing the translators on it. But I figured this would be a
start.

HTH someone- patches accepted :)
Luis