Re: Create your own customised GNOME liveCD

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:45:37 +0100
Simos Xenitellis <simos74 gmx net> wrote:

I cannot understand your point.

I'll try to explain.

If we from the marketing group continue to use expressions as 'geek' or
'newbie', we'll be stuck in ongoing discussions without any progress.

What do you mean by 'newbie', for example: A newbie to computers, a
newbie to Linux, or a newbie to GNOME?

Just because one may a newbie to Linux or GNOME, one may not be a newbie
to computers. There are people with more than 10 years experience in
Windows but never touched a Linux box. These people know how to
handle a graphical user interface with trees, right-click menues, and
the like.

A computer beginner or infrequent user (less than 2 years Windows
experience) is unlikely to be able to manage a Live CD on his own.

Advanced computers users (more than 2 years Windows experience but less
than 1 year Linux experience) can manage a LiveCD but they probably
heard of Knoppix before -- at least in Germany. These people are likely
to read PC journals.

I wasn't speaking about the pros and cons of LiveCD's. I was talking
about the mistakes we make if we don't think of advanced computer users!
We start saying things like

(1) "No one outside a core group of geeks knows what knoppix is.",
(2) "calling it gnoppix is marketing to the wrong group", and
(3) "calling it gnoppix is confusing to newbies."

Now, (1) is wrong according to my experience, (2) needs some serious
thinking, and (3) is wrong because a computer newbie hardly knows what
'Gnoppix', 'GNOME' or a 'LiveCD' is.

Hopefully, this was a better description. If not, please let me know.

Cheers,
Claus

P.S.: Speaking of LiveCDs in general: Without a graphical partion tool,
and without a graphical installation assistent, the utility of LiveCDs
for marketing are overestimated, IMHO.