Re: [Usability] Re: Workspaces

Am Samstag, den 16.07.2005, 13:15 -0500 schrieb David Zulaica:

This sounds more and more like you're saying GNOME should default to a kiosk mode
or turning the computer into an appliance. I'm not too keen on that. There are an
infinite number of things that a user can do with their computer. Users like
doing things, but they also like doing _lots_ of things and multitasking.

I did not want so say that GNOME should default to kiosk mode. I think
that it is inside todays approach of GNOME to focus on the users needs.
I think GNOME should have the ability to do kios mode and other things.
I don't think that GNOME should always behave the same. I see GNOME more
as a basis. I think there may be many sectoral software that could
switch to GNOME if GNOME allows to easily develop desktop appliances.

I think a homogenous desktop is an important goal, but companies do have
many different requirements. For a bank it may be nice to have a central
server and an appliance that is accessible via Netboot or XDMCP or
whatever. And there are software companies that want to deliver such
things. I think they would be happy if they get a basis where they do
not have to add much, in order to deliver a good desktop appliance. I
don't think that GNOME itself should develop in that direction, but I
think this concept is very good for many purposes and GNOME should not
ignore this.

(I also copy my answer to gnome-marketing, maybe there are also some
thoughts about this...)

thilo

--
blog: http://www.alternativ.net/~vinci